Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Jun Njan - Timeless Chinese Cuisine

I've always been curious about this food joint. Whenever I pass by one of their many branches in Pluit, long lines of cars are always parked out front. Being in this neighborhood for a while, I know that residents from this area are one the pickiest foodie. Every year, I witnessed numerous foodplace rise and fall. However, once you win them, you own them. I kinda think Jun Njan is one of the few good ones that will last.

You can imagine then, how excited I was being invited by Jun Njan and Grand Indonesia to break-fast with fellow food bloggers. Finally, I get to taste what the fuzz is about. Eat up!

Early in the event, two chefs present their cooking technique by cutting and serving the Lobster Salad right in front of our eyes. You can tell how special these two expensive jumbo prawns are by the way they were carefully delicately treated. As special as this occasion and the food bloggers who joined, Jun Njan created this meal specifically for the night. 



I must admit, it was delicious. Its not common to mix longan fruit with lobster, however I find the taste mashup quite delectable. It adds a sense of freshness to the palate.

As we move along with the dinner, starting up with such a tongue provoking entree, you would expect nothing less than a tasteful main courses as well. To my surprise, Jun Njan successfully brought us forward, slowly but sure to a series of upward enjoyment ended in a luscious climax. Let me take you to each of the mouthwatering meals.



Fried Squid with Jun Njan Sauce (63k) - It is proven. What some of my friends eagerly proclaim as their signature dish is indeed a must try. Fried, but easy on the teeth and juicy. The sweet savory sauce is one of a kind.

Fried Chicken with Butter Sauce (49k) - It reminds me of Ayam Kuluyuk in a way, but this is like a super sophisticated luxurious mutated version of it. Don't get it? Alright, give it a try and you'll get it once the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious taste hit your tongue. I'm not helping I know. Haha.



Fried Prawn with Salted Egg Yolk (88k) - Crispy savory skin teamed up with big meatful shrimp. Nothing less than scrumptious. And don't worry, the yolk on these shrimps are plenty to keep your tongue salty enough to demand another sip of water. Me likey!


Black Pepper Beef (63k) - While many would rank this on their favorite list, I've never been a fan of black pepper. Something about it turns me off. Maybe because most blackpepper sauce is so strong smelling that it overpowers the taste and flavor of the beef. I prefer blackpepper beef in conjunction with several other dishes. As on this one, it makes a good variety filler, but definitely not as a main / single dish.



Braised Soft Tofu with Jun Njan Sauce (46k)- I always love tofu. Give me all kind of tofu, fried, deep fried, in a soup, crushed, braised, in whatever sauce, I'd eat it. The tofu itself is enough goodness in its own. For this one, I like the generous amount of mushroom, the mix of scallions and Jun Njan sauce served my tastebud well. However, a little addition of seafood would be nicer though. =p


Deep Fried Carp with Sweet & Sour Sauce (88k) // Seafood Fried Rice (35k - 75k) - There's a reason they're in the bottom of my list. Lets' just leave it at that and everyone's happy. =)



Ice Fruity Cream for dessert. Too bad they ran out of coconut pudding. I haven't had one for quite a while. It rans out in other restaurants too. Anyway, for this particular drink, while I enjoy the rich creamy soup, and the fresh fruits, it would be much nicer if its sweeter. I find it bland without the fruit.  

---

All in all, the dinner was lovely, Jun Njan is definitely above par with many other Chinese restaurant that I've tasted. One thing I notice and fell in love with this establishment is the respect for history. The name itself, as the owner explained,  Jun = forever, Njan = roots, together combined means "always remember your roots / background". This message is amplified everywhere. Started in 1956, I saw how the third generation raise and build it into a bigger empire, being relevant to the modern world, without losing its Chinese essence. I saw the youngs and the elderly work hand in hand. Not many family businesses could flourish and stay collected as a group as they are. I wish their culinary legacy could be long lasting and timeless. Salute.




And salute to Grand Indonesia as well for taking care of us bloggers, Adhi Tawakal their representative for being such a warm host, you make the evening pleasant with your witty sense of humor. Mbak Nuniek from Fimela.com and Multiply ID for supporting the event. You are an inspiration for serving the online world with your expertise. Can't wait until our next dinner at Tatemukai! HAHA.

Salam Mampu! (pardon for internal jokes)

Fellexandro Ruby
Food Conversationalist & Photographer
Munch on my tweets @Wanderbites 


---
Jun Njan Seafood Restaurant
Grand Indonesia, West Mall Level 5 No 11 A-B
Jl. MH Thamrin No. 1 Jakarta 10310
Ph: +6221 23580647/48
Fax: +6221 23580649

Twitter: @JunNjan

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are all beautiful. Can't wait to see more!

    NOT JUST PEOPLE / Jakarta Street Style and Social Scene /
    http://notjustpeopleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @NOT JUST PEOPLE: Thanks! Your candids are awesome as well. Can I take part in the project some time? =D

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics